[Zope-dev] FW: [Zope-dev] Making Zope international

Rik Hoekstra hoekstra@fsw.LeidenUniv.nl
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:12:33 +0200

Thilo Mezger wrote:
[snip internationalisation problems with money and time]

>I'd like to add translation to this; it'd be nice if there was a
>facility in Zope to get the same text in multiple languages in a
>consistent way. I imagine using acquisition could be of service here.
>For instance:
>
>http://localhost/foo
>
>Displays 'foo' in the default language.
>
>http://localhost/English/foo
>
>Tries to display 'foo' in English, if possible, otherwise displays
>'sorry, can't translate'.
>
>http://localhost/Nederlands/foo
>
>Tries to display 'foo' in Dutch, if possible, otherwise displays 'sorry,
>kan niet vertalen'.
>
>Is this feasible? You'd need some consistent way to store HTML in more
>than a single language; perhaps a MultiLingualDTMLDocument, or something
>like that?

I like this idea. Perhaps the text sections of the MultiLingulaDTMLdocument
could be inserted by a tag like <!--#var nl|us|de|etc. text-->. This way we
would
not only have separation of code, but also be able to add a new language in
a simple way.

> therefore, i'd like to suggest the creating of ZIP - the
>
>         ZOPE INTERNATIONALIZATION PROJECT

>Cool! :) I'm interested, though I don't know how much input I can give
>given lack of time. I'll join any mailing list on this that's opened,
>though.

Same for me.

Rik Hoekstra