[Zope-dev] Features / Demos want

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 20:23:08 -0500

On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 08:51:18AM +0800, Kent Sin wrote:

> 2. Auto menu generation. Nodes with specific attribute on it. Can be
> horizontal or vertical. Just like in Zope's site.

This is trivial to do, or are you complaining that you just don't know
how?  One of the neat things is to look at the DTML behind zope.org.  I
use TinyTables to control the side-bars, but certainly you could do it
in other ways.

> 3. News page generation. With automatic expire by designated date.

Same here.

> 4. Ad banner insertation and billing management.

Can you say political hotbutton :-)

> 7. Backup / versioning

This to a large extent already exists, it just needs better
documentation, and the ability to extract old versions into another
database.  I think some of this is in BoboPOS3

> 8. Personalize : like that on excite.

Waiting for the code :-)

> 9. Access to meta information inside the page: time-last-modify, author,
> last-visit-time, version, visit-counter, meta-tags.

Well, here's the problem... what's a pagee? ;-) How do you decide "last
modified" and author when a page can be constructed of objects that have
dozens of other objects inside them?  What's a "visit counter" in this
context?

> 10. Support Spiders

What do you mean by this?

> 11. Xml storage and publishing : store them with parsing, searchable,
> publishing with stylesheet (we may not want to give them all of the XML,
> may be part of it).

Um, you can store XML, and there's some other stuff to do XML parsing
that's been written..

> 12. A better WYSIWYG authoring tool.

On what platform?  I don't own a Windows box, Mac and UNIX only... this
will be fixed with WebDAV in my opinion, and it isn't the job of Zope to
push it's own proprietary solution.

> 13. Multi-linguage management: use browser's lang perference to select
> language sent out, with auto menu generate in that lang and change lang
> menu auto gen. When a page is modified, list all pages need to modify in
> other languages. (some what like fontpage's task list?).

This would be neat, but... this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE task, and I've
never found a web site that does it "automatically", only thru selecting
seperate menu itenms.   Make sense?

Chris