[Zope-dev] DISCUSS: Plea for help!

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Fri, 7 May 1999 07:57:02 -0400

(Cough, cough, ...) HELP!!!!

We have a golden opportunity for Zope.  Mark Hammond has offered to let
us get several thousand words in the O'Reilly Python for Windows book,
slated for August/September release.  Anybody that knows how O'Reilly
works knows that there isn't much time for changes.

I'd like to do something that fits in nicely with the tone of the book
(Win32 and COM).  While we could just show Zope running, that doesn't
reinforce anything else in the book.

However, we've had lying around for a long time something *really* cool
-- a COM External Method.  It was written for Principia about a year
ago.  As I remember, you put in a COM object (e.g. Excel.OpenWorkbook)
and Bobo/Principia/Zope marshals whatever form data is needed, calls the
COM function, and returns the result.  Kind of magic.

Here's what we need:

1) Overhaul of the COMExternalMethod code (one file, 150 lines with
comments) to make it a good Zope citizen.

2) The words that describe Zope and give an example using it.

If you're interested, speak up -- but *only* if you can turn it around
in a week (gulp).

--Paul