[Zope-dev] Zope-beta failure on OSF/Alpha

Janko Hauser jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:09:41 +0100 (CET)

Gilles lavaux writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I run Zope on alpha, but on linux alpha(RH5.1 and RH6.0)
 > Zope1.10.3b1 works fine, and we have developped a lot of things on it:
 > inventory database, user helpdesk ticket system, team activity monitoring.
 > All this with a Postgresql database( which is wonderfull).
 >
 > But with Zope2 I had problems, things like confera or squishdot doesn't
 > works(impossible to posr a article) and the soft we have in zope1 doesn't
 > run completly. On this topic I have a request for the DC guys: you should do
 > a 'test script' to allow the new users to test a Zope installation (all the
 > DC products & functionalitys). This way it would be easy to be shure that
 > everything if ok.
 >
 > My personal conclusion is: running on alpha add some troubles.

and

Jeff Rush writes:
 > Sorry to hear of your problem.  Are you by chance running
 > Red Hat Linux/Alpha?  I do know that Red Hat took my Zope
 > RPMs, rebuilt them (w/o change) on an Alpha and they said
 > it all worked fine.  Personally I've never seen an Alpha so I
 > can't speak with authority but it -ought- to work.
 >
 > Or are you running the 2.1.0 beta 1 release?

I use the 2.1.0 Beta, but had a similar problem with the stable
source, although I didn't looked further back than. According to the
wonderful platform.py the system is 'OSF1-V4.0-alpha-alpha'. The exact
error is:

Stack overflow: pid 26669, proc python, addr 0x140889ff8, pc 0x120049ef0

Python runs fine on normal stuff, although I haven't tested the
threading stuff. Is there a simple test for threading alone (python
make test works for threads)? I have in the meantime compiled the
extensions without optimization, which does not change anything. Is it
ok to assume that one can conclude from the fact that zope runs under
redhat there are no inherent problems with 64 bit machines?

Something more suspicious. I can't lookup documents past the initial
screen over http but can do this over ftp. Can one assume that the
ZODB subsystem is working, can I test this in other ways?

Thanks nevertheless,

__Janko