[Zope-dev] Suggestions towards implementing an experimental protocol for cross-database persistent object references and multi-database Zopelications cross-database persistent object references and multi-database Zopelications

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:43:23 +0100

At 05:58 17/11/99 , Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>After studying Jeffrey Shell's ZLDAP package, and the current ZODB system,
>in the light of recent conversations with Jim Fulton, a few lightbulbs went
>on with respect to the usefulness of multi-database Zopelications.  For
>example, wouldn't it be keen if regular Zope objects could 'store' object
>attributes that were actually LDAP entries?  Or SQL database records?  That
>would be pretty awesome.

I believe that Jim Fulton has let his mind wander over this already. The
general implementation wasn't hard, he said, the problems arise in the
details. How, for example, do you remove unreferenced objects from any such
database? How do you find out if an otherwise unreferenced object in one
database, is not referenced by another one.

Also, IIRC, there is an issue with caching and connections, and the
question of when to close a connection to a referenced database. But as I
was experiencing some jet-lag at the time, and didn't bring a memo
recording when I spoke with Jim, I don't remember the full details.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer