[Zope-dev] Prototype Zope mxODBC DA

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:48:59 -0400

> Question for Christopher Petrilli: because the patches from the Oracle
> DA are so small, does merging the mxODBC and Oracle DAs into one code
> base seem feasible?

No, mostly because both are on the cusp of going somewhere else.  We will
most likely be undertaking a ground-up rewrite of the ODBC driver based
purely on the X/Open CLI spec (which is part of SLQ99), which will also be
used to talk to DB2.  This will not use a DB-API compatible interface for
various reasons.

Eventually the DCOracle adapter will undergo a similar transition.  We need
things that the DB-API doesn't provide, nor perhaps should it.  We have
already had great success with a Sybase adapter done this way (eventually to
be released).

Chris