[Zope-dev] Multi-Format Interface

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 13:53:57 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Michel Pelletier <michel@digicool.com>
To: Toby Dickenson <htrd90@zepler.org>
Cc: Loren Stafford <lstafford@icompression.com>; zope-dev@zope.org
<zope-dev@zope.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 1999 3:19 PM
Subject: [Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Can't add "date" property to new ZClass

>I'm working on a model and elaboration of what I call MFI, Multi-Format
>Interface, which will be a component of the Portal Toolkit and possible
>a future core feature of Zope. Basicly, this consolidates all of the
>document types, DTML, XML, PDF, what-have you, into a subclassable
>interface that allows you to define pluggable format types.
[snip]

>This is a pretty light description, but there are many other benefits
>I'm formalizing into a document right now.  What are you thoughts?

As I've been gearing up to do an increasing amount of Flash lately, I've
been considering making a Flash document object (either in python or
ZClasses... I hadn't really decided). The requirements I would have for
Flash might a bit different from the other cases you've been considering.

Here are some of the things I was thinking of:

* The object should contain the Flash .swf file and an option .gif/.jpg/.png
to display for people who are Flash-impaired
* Properties would parallel the Flash publishing options. These are things
like Loop, size of movie (in pixels or percent), etc.
* Option to display the flash in the current browser window or open a new
window. (I've been doing some "full-screen-ish" movies lately... these work
a lot better in a separate window). Opening a new window might involve
referencing another "web page" that is served up by the Flash object.

I was not planning to incorporate Flash detection in the object itself, but
I think that would be desirable.

I am in no way insinuating that DC write this thing :)   I think that MFI
sounds *great* and I'd like to see the API provide the hooks necessary to
handle something like Flash, since Flash can get kind of convoluted in how
you use it.

Kevin

p.s. I'm still waiting breathlessly for that shameless ZPT propoganda you
promised!