[Zope-dev] RE: Zope Portal Toolkit

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:57:04 -0400

The toolkit is currently in the elaboration phase.  At the moment, I am
busy modeling the architechture, capturing use cases, evaluating risks,
and doing some prototyping.

As soon as I cross the Ts and dot the Is on a customer project I am
working on, I will put a few more hours into the Toolkit model and
publish it to the zope-dev list.  I can promise that the model will show
up this week sometime.

I'm hoping that this model will clarify many of the concepts people have
about portals.  I would like to point out one important thing however,
the Toolkit is exactly what it sounds like: a collection of tools.
While the toolkit *may* come with an *example* portal, the portal is not
the end product, the tools and model are.

Further (and this is addressed to everyone) while I want/need as many
ideas from the community to go into this, I won't have the capacity to
respond to blue-sky ideas unless those ideas are backed by solid use
cases, risk assesments, and detailed explanations *based on the model*.
This is not to say I want to stiffle anyone, and brainstorming can be
very fruitful, but our resources on this project are so thin that I
cannot afford to elaborate other peoples ideas if they do not immediatly
strike me as good ones by either 1) being a damn good idea and obvious
to a fool like me, or 2) you justify your idea in the context of the
existing model.

None of this is to say you shouldn't speak your mind, I'll be happy to
you know if I don't think your idea is clear enough to include in the
development without further elaboration on your part.  And, of course,
the discussion and elaboration of blue sky ideas is totally encouraged,
I just won't have enough time to chime in on the elaboration.

So I'll get back to work on my part, the model, so that we can all take
a look at it and start cracking.

-Michel