[Zope-dev] Re: Renderable Base ZClass

Lalo Martins lalo@webcom.com
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 17:28:49 -0200

On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 11:40:05AM -0300, Dave Wood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote the ZOPE mailing list with the following:
>
> ...we have been banging out bugs with the Renderable Base ZClass Product,
> but are stuck on one point. We don't know how to pass/initialize a valid
> REQUEST object in the class. How is this done?...
>
> but noone seems to know. I've also tried the #zope IRC channel but no one
> seems to use it!
>
> Have you had any luck with the ZOPE-dev list?

Haven't tried yet :-) but you give a good enought definition of
the problem, so I'm forwarding this to there.

More technical view, if anyone cares:

What Renderable does is basically define a __str__ method, so
that we can control what is displayed when we do <dtml-var obj>
(and obj is of a class derived from Renderable).

But __str__ is a pure-python feature, so it doesn't get a
context (REQUEST etc).

Namely, we would really appreciate to be able to tell the name
(url) of the object we're a method of :-)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.