[Zope-dev] XMLRPCMethod product

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:21:16 -0400 (EDT)

Amos Latteier writes:
>Well, you could acquire the server URL. This would improve flexibility.

Acquire it from where?  I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting
here; a Folderish XMLServer object that contains several XMLMethod
objects?

>The Zopish thing to do (not that I can speak to whether this is always
>right or not) is to wrap access to external resources like the filesystem,
>and databases. Probably Chris or Jim could comment on the security
>implications of this better that I can.

Hrm... this is at war with my primitive urge for flexibility.  On the
other hand, implementing it with a single object would require
implementing a __getattr__ hook, to make rpcserv.foo.whatever() work,
and isn't implementing __getattr__ frowned upon when using
acquisition?  (Does anyone have pointers to an explanation of the
problems doing this?)

>My guess is that a simple 'cache for N hours' setting on methods would
>provide much of the needed functionality with very little complexity.

Perhaps; in the meantime, I've sent off an e-mail to the XML-RPC
mailing list in an effort to raise some discussion about caching.

in-any-case-the-best-christmas-present-i-got-today!-ly y'rs - tim
    -- Tim Peters, 29 Dec 91 [First occurrence of Tim Peters's long-phrase-ly
       idiom.]