[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity: Part 1: wysiwig editing

Dody Gunawinata dody_g@eles.com
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:50:57 +1000

I think "DOCUMENTATION" is more than anything else, the greatest barrier
to people using Zope.
Probably Zope is too powerful for its own good. You've got this tons of
features that you can exploit,
so much of good thing, but there is currently no document that actually
guides a beginner gently and hides
the more advance features from them.

For example, about storing data. In Cold Fusion/ASP/Perl, there aren't
many ways to store a data, flat file or a database. That's easy
to explain to a beginner..Do it this way, only. Limited but simple. With
Zope, you got Persistent database, SQL database, and tons of cool tricks
to do with them. I see one beginner example (can't remember the article)
where it guides the user to create a WebBoard using Python/Persistent. A
beginner would simply lost. A ZSQL method would be a lot simpler, as SQL
is easier to understand.

Much of the documentation is designed with *advance* developers in mind.
It's time for Zope for Dummies.

Dody