[Zope-dev] ANN: VisualStudio Preview released

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:54:55 -0700

At 08:57 PM 9/30/99 +0200, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>Okay, going out on a limb here, try installing the XMLWidgets.tgz file
>(the python stuff). Then restart your Zope. Then go to the products
>management screen, and *delete* any XMLWidgets product that may show up.
>*then* import the XMLWidgets.zexp. And finally install the demo somewhere
>in the folder tree. Then tell me if it worked. :)

Ahh. That worked. OK, now I have some examples, but it's still very unclear
how to harness the potential power of this stuff. All instances seem to
only have one management tab ('manage_access') which doesn't shed too much
light on how to use them.

Hmm. Digging a little, it looks like you call widgets with XML Documents.
I'm I getting closer?

So a widget is a template for a XML Document?

BTW, if you want to have WidgetManager's work like DTML Methods, and be
called as methods of parent objects try this, from DTMLMethod.

    class func_code: pass
    func_code=func_code()
    func_code.co_varnames='self','REQUEST','RESPONSE'
    func_code.co_argcount=3

I think that this will fool ZPublisher into considering your object a
method of its parent.

>There ought to be some way to distribute ZClasses with Python base classes
>easily, though...

Right. In the mean time it is a good idea not to create your ZClasses
inside an installed Product.

-Amos