[Zope-dev] socket newbie question

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 23:30:06 -0800

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> In select_trigger.py, the non-posix version of the trigger class binds
> a socket to a port on the address 127.9.9.9. Can anyone explain the
> significance of using this address, rather than 127.0.0.1 ?

No significance.  Just Sam's personal style I guess.  It seriously
reduced the chances of select_trigger binding to a port that something
else wants to use, since it's such an odd address.  It means 'localhost'
just as much as the more conventional form.  The TCP/IP spec says you
computer can have any number of localhost addresses in the
127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 block (or 127.0.0.0/24 for the more modern
notation).

-Michel