[Zope-dev] ZServer speed enhancement (I hope)

Andy Dustman adustman@comstar.net
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 22:39:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Ben Leslie wrote:

> > I've whipped up another version:
> >
> > ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/adustman/_asyncore-0.0.1.tar.gz
> >
> > This is not a bug fix; no bugs found yet. It should offer slightly more
> > speed improvement. This version depends on the fact (or at least, I hope
> > it's a fact) that fileno() on an object in the socket_map does not change
> > over time (modifies asyncore.py to store fileno() as the value in
> > socket_map; previously always stored 1 as a placeholder).
> >
> > You will need to undo the patch to asyncore.py from the previous one to
> > apply the new patch (another couple lines, pitiful, really).
>

> I was just trying to install this patch on my system (Debian Potato, Zope 2.1.6
> from src) and ran into a couple of problems.
>

> Firstly it failed to import the library due to an fprint statement which I think
>  is meant to be fprintf. I changed this and then the module loaded correctly
> however it then seemed to just die with no error or anything. After starting
> ope in read only mode (-r) it would start and be fine until you access it and
> then it would segfault.
>
> I really don't know where to start in debugging this  and unfortunately
> don't have time at the moment :(.

Jeez, you're right. I thought all the debugging crap was out of there.
Just delete that statement. I'm amazed the stupid thing compiled. Look for
the new version (soon) at:

ftp://starship.python.net/pub/crew/adustman/_asyncore-0.0.2.tar.gz

--
andy dustman       |     programmer/analyst     |      comstar.net, inc.
telephone: 770.485.6025 / 706.549.7689 | icq: 32922760 | pgp: 0xc72f3f1d