[Zope-dev] dtml-call problem

Dr. Peer Griebel peer@knoll-is.de
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 08:53:07 +0200

Duncan Booth wrote:

> Try:
>         <dtml-call "method_b(_.None, _)">
> and everything should be fine.

Thank you. This works.

> See also http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Guides/DTML-
> HTML/DTML.5.6.2.html which explains exactly what these
> arguments are, although not how to use them.

This chapter of the document is titled "Using Document Templates from
Python". So it is at least a little bit misleading since I'm using it in
a Zope method...

> Actually having read this, it looks (I haven't checked it) as though
> you should also be able to write:
>         <dtml-call "method_b(mapping=_)">
> which is arguably more readable.

I think all these calling conventions are not intuitive at all. Wouldn't
it be better to have these parameters passed by default? Perhaps it is
difficult to implement. But a normal user has no reason to think about
passing internal variables. All he sees are his own (dtml-)methods where
he himself defines the list of parameters. So he never really sees the
real definition of the method with all the 'hidden' parameters.

But since I now know how to handle method calls I can live with it.
Let's put this question in an FAQ. So novices get a chance to work with
Zope. My real problem with starting to work with Zope is the lack of
some larger system implemented in Zope which uses all these obscure (?)
parts of Zope.

Once again thank you!

--
connection reset by
      Peer

Dr. Peer Griebel                                  Tel. +49 7581 4831 23
Geschäftsführer                                   Fax. +49 7581 4831 11
Knoll Informationssysteme GmbH                   http://www.knoll-is.de
Dreiköniggasse 17                               mailto:peer@knoll-is.de
88348 Saulgau                        privat: mailto:peer.griebel@gmx.de