[Zope-dev] zope and writes

mindlace mindlace@imeme.net
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 13:57:38 -0600

Zopistas,

There've been various comments about how the ZODB isn't particularly
suited towards write-intensive scenarios. What I'm wondering is whether
this shouldn't be altered to be rewrite intensive scenarios.

For example, if I add an object to the ZODB, I've just added the
object.  However, if I *change* that object, I now have two objects- as
it is now, and as it was previously.

Now, is this all inclusive?  I'm thinking of using the ZODB to store
information like a mailing list archive.  The vast majority of the data-
the messages themselves- would never change.  However, I'd like to have
meta-data, like scoring on messages, that would change.

If I change a property on a DTML Document, does the ZODB store a copy of
all of the document's other properties (which haven't changed?)

If so, is there a way to pack on a "per-object" basis, or would I just
need to use some kind of non-versioning storage?

Thanks,
--
ethan mindlace fremen        mindlace@imeme.net