[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope-PTK] Wizards

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:48:34 -0300

Sorry for the huge quoting and "me too". The intent of this
reply is to say I agree with Shalabh and forward the discussion
to the Zope-dev list, since it resulted in absolute silence in
the PTK list (and after all, this isn't about the PTK anymore,
but Zope in general and the site in particular).

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 04:41:13PM +0530, Shalabh Chaturvedi wrote:
> Paul Everitt wrote:
> > A couple of comments..
> >
> > Could someone take some time to summarize this discussion in the Wiki
> > setup in the PTK area:
> >
> >   http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/  (can't remember the URL for the
> > Wiki)
> >
> > I've wanted the PTK (and Zope Mozilla) to be a joint development effort
> > with the community.  So far one entity has stepped forward and gotten
> > CVS access, thought there hasn't been much activity.
> >
> > Digital Creations needs to find the right rhythym to a more open
> > development cycle.  At this point, I'm not sure if the lack of
> > participation is due to lack of engagement on our part or the
> > community's part.
>
> My $0.02 on this:
>
> I don't think DC lacks in spirit but I feel that some systems are not in place
> to involve and encourage possible participants. This has mostly to do with the
> publicly available website and resources.
>
> For comparison here is a list of 'good' os projects, some big, some small:
>  http://www.mozilla.org/
>  http://www.gnome.org or rather  http://developer.gnome.org/
>  http://java.apache.org/
>  http://www.enhydra.org/
>  http://www.jabber.org/
>
> 1. The ubiquitous 'Get Involved' link and associated details are missing from
>     both the PTK and ZopeMoz projects. Anyone browsing doesn't know how
>    (or even whether) he can contribute.
>
> 2. Visible Activity: Almost all sites above have 'status', 'news' etc inline
>     right on the front page. They _look_ alive.
>
> 3. Developer Resources: Documentation (is being worked on, I believe), External
>     links, Access to Issues (mentioned by Andrew in his reply), Feature lists
>     and so on are all loved by developers.
>
> 4. Identity: Currently both the said projects would appear to be some sort of
>     extension to Zope, or _sub_projects. This is not very encouraging for
>     external developers (who are not yet or only recently a part of the
>     Zope community) since they see that value of the work they might do will
>     be lost in this huge thing. The people within the community and capable
>     of contributing are either already in DC or doing so for core Zope. This
>     makes pulling people from outside more important (and beneficial) than
>     distributing the existing Zope developers.
>
> For ZopeMoz: IMO, people with Mozilla knowledge can contribute more than
> people with Zope Zen (with the same effort). Since they would come from outside
> Zope, the above points become more weighty.

<aol>
me too. I mean, I agree.
</aol>

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
                 pgp key in the personal page

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar