[Zope-dev] REMOTE_USER

Ng Pheng Siong ngps@post1.com
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:50:02 +0800

Hello,

I've been testing my ZServerSSL in X.509 authentication mode.

A quick recap of how it works: ZServerSSL extracts the cert's
identity (its subject DN), maps it to a Zope user name, and
sets REMOTE_USER accordingly.

As it happens, if mapping fails (user cert verifies ok but
mapping doesn't exist), REMOTE_USER is unset and Zope will pop
up its Basic Authentication dialog box. Because Zope is now running
in REMOTE_USER mode, this step always fails.

I tested with setting REMOTE_USER to "anonymous": same outcome.

What do Zope hackers think is the appropriate course of action
here?

TIA. Cheers.
--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@post1.com> * http://www.post1.com/home/ngps