[Zope-dev] Re: TinyTables

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
26 Apr 2000 17:42:08 GMT

On 26 Apr 2000 11:10:01 -0500, Chris Withers wrote:

>Is it okay to use TinyTables (as in Zope 2.2 or 2.3 aren't going to
>break them...)?

TinyTables uses pretty simple constructs that hopefully won't break
in a future version of Zope. Can't imagine it would be a big task
to fix if something does break.

>TinyTables make a good place to store configuration data. I guess like
>PropertySheets, except they can hold a table-like property. Maybe
>Propertysheets need a TinyTable property type :-)

Almost two years ago I was petitioning DC to provide a small,
searchable, tabular Principia (before Zope) data structure that
could be used for just these sorts of things. Best I could figure,
the DC folks just had a completely different world view on the
topic. :^)  (This was before we had The Source).

The DC folks were certainly looking much further down the road than
I was, but I just needed something simple and 'now'. Anyway,
TinyTables came out of that need. One one hand, it was almost
overkill for what I wanted, but Ty did such a good job with it that
it became useful for lots of other applications and I most certainly
didn't complain.

I think it'd be great to have a more integrated (small) tabular
data structure. What would it have that TinyTables doesn't provide?
Both Ty and I have come up with additional capabilities to TinyTables,
but it was then no longer *Tiny*...