[Zope-dev] What should be done with Nulls in Database result sets?

Jay, Dylan djay@avaya.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:38:25 +1000

I have been having all sorts of trouble upgrading from ZODBCDA to ZmxODBC.
The ZODBCDA users RDB.DatabaseResults and ZmxODBC (modified from ZOracleDA)
uses Results.Results. These two classes seem to do exactly the same purpose
and so I suppose one shouldn't exist. The important point is that handle
NULL values very differently. Results let them pass through as None values
whereas DatabaseResults change them to the special value MissingValue.
MissingValue is nice becuase its string representation is an empty string
which is nice on html forms etc. Why doesn't Results do this too? What is
the official word on what a DA should be returning for NULLs?

----
Dylan Jay                           Tel:   +61 2 9886-8961
Avaya Communication                 FAX:   +61 2 9352 9224
Level 5, 15 Talavera Road           Mobile:+61 409 606 171
Nth Ryde, NSW, 2113                 ICQ:   520341
AUSTRALIA