[Zope-dev] ZUnit - feedback convocation

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:25:57 -0200

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 02:56:26PM -0800, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Lalo Martins wrote:
>
> > The first section is the advocacy section; it will begin with
> > "if you already do unit tests, you may want to skip this
> > section". I'm not sure if the history lesson is out of scope,
> > but "Why do you want to use it" is probably better.
>
> Hmm... actually in that case you may want to axe both "why" and the history.

I agree. At most, one paragraph about each could go in "What
is Unit Testing".

> > > What does "refactor mercilessly!" mean?
> >
> > I'll explain that one of the benefits of unit testing
> > extensively is that you can modify your code without fear
> > (you'll know when it breaks). This section is more advocacy
> > than technical.
>
> Ah, ok I like it.  I wonder if "refactor" is the right word; it's very
> specific and it sounds like any kind of changing can be done.

"Refactor Mercilessly!" is one of the "practices" of XP, and an
expression (XPression?) they like to throw around.

Also, yes, any kind of changing can be done, if the tests cover
it :-) (except that if you develop new functionality, you must
write new tests too)

> > I allocated a subsection for this because just explaining the
> > problem is already somewhat convoluted, as you see above ;-) in
> > a printed book, I'd make it a sidebar or something, but...
>
> Hmm.  I guess my concern was because it was the only subsection of
> 'Fixtures'.  Do fixtures need a more topical breakdown or are they
> simple enough to sum up in one section?  Maybe we can think of some
> 'fixture use cases'.

I don't think so. I think I just broke the rules. When I added
this subsection I was thinking more about some kind of sidebar,
not a real subsection - fixtures definitely don't need their
own topical breakdown.

As there is no provision for "sidebars" or "boxes" in the
informal standard format we've been using for these docs,
I'll move the note about this issue one level up.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
        The biggest site for whatever-it-is-that-we-are.

http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
         pgp key: http://zope.gf.com.br/lalo/pessoal/pgp

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar