[Zope-dev] Is ODBC the way to go ?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:06:05 -0500 (EST)

Christopher Petrilli writes:
>We'd be ecstatic if the Python community made more adapters, but we
>currently support Sybase and Oracle, and its a pretty big burden given we
>add no value to the equation.  If you were to offer an Informix adapter that
>you supported, all the Informix people would love you, as would we. ;-)

Note that writing a DA isn't documented, and there's no test suite for
verifying a DA's correct operation.

We use an mxODBC DA that I hacked out of the Oracle DA (I haven't yet
gotten around to releasing it -- I know, I know...).  A little while
ago, it started occasionally raising an exception about the connection
being broken and I haven't yet tracked down the cause.  It's probably
a bug in my code, but it might be a bug in the Oracle DA that I used
as a starting point. Maintaining sychronization with the Oracle DA
would be tedious.

I found that the Oracle DA doesn't really have to change very much to
use mxODBC.  Maybe this is an argument for pushing the whole Oracle DA
into some standard product, where you'd write a single adapter module
for each new database, rather than copying the whole DA over and over
again.

The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow
sharper.
    -- Eden Phillpotts