[Zope-dev] Re. Scheduler product, anyone?

Sat, 05 Feb 2000 12:08:46 +1100

>>> "Loren Stafford" wrote
> The kinds of scheduled tasks I'm thinking about are
>  - email reminders
>  - garbage collection
>  - updating syndicated content from other sites

  - checking for automated workflow tasks who's preconditions have
    been met, and executing them.

> Because I'm also thinking about repetitive tasks, I'm not anxious to have to
> capture the outputs of the scheduled methods. I'd have to add them to the
> end of a log file, and have to worry about what happens when more than one
> copy of the method is running. I thought I'd expect scheduled methods to
> have side-effects, but no STDOUT output, and throw away any output that
> might be created. Do you think it's important to capture output?

Absolutely. A log file would be _bare_ minimum - ideally, some sort of
pluggable logging architecture could be used so that you could slot in
a smarter logger.

Anthony