[Zope-dev] Zope (or Python?) not completely thread-safe...?!

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:37:06 +0200

"Jeff K. Hoffman" wrote:

> We are in the process of transitioning our main web asset to Zope. This
> site sends broadcast e-mails to all of its members (10,000+) when an
> important news item is posted to the site, which can potentially happen
> more than once a day.

I guess that more productive use of time would be letting the maillist
expansion to sendmail or similar program and work on getting the interface
to it right (and maybe writing some HowTo-s on how to set it up to always
store-and-forward)

Of course this will not work very well if you want to give a personalized
message to each list member. Still it may be wise to just prepare the
messages and let a well-tested MTA handle the actual distribution.

An interesting task would be to use /usr/sbin/sendmail executable in os.system
(or pipe, i.e. popen, popen2 or popen3) call to do the processing instead
of talking to smtp socket.

> I am obviously (due to the volume we send out) interested in providing
> Zope with more robust, high performance SMTP mail capabilities. The items
> you mention above would be a great start to addressing our needs.

Still you could end up rewriting whole sendmail, which is at least a moderate
size project, even if done in python ;)

Hannu