[Zope-dev] Zope (or Python?) not completely thread-safe...?!

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 00:21:24 +0200

"Jeff K. Hoffman" wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>
> > "Jeff K. Hoffman" wrote:
> >
> > > We are in the process of transitioning our main web asset to Zope. This
> > > site sends broadcast e-mails to all of its members (10,000+) when an
> > > important news item is posted to the site, which can potentially happen
> > > more than once a day.
> >
> > I guess that more productive use of time would be letting the maillist
> > expansion to sendmail or similar program and work on getting the interface
> > to it right (and maybe writing some HowTo-s on how to set it up to always
> > store-and-forward)
>
> I assume you mean using a Cc: or Bcc: to let the MTA distribute a single
> message body multiple times? Sure, for our purposes here, that is probably
> what we will do.

Actually I was meaning generating an alias for the list, andt refreshing it
in /etc/aliases and then sending the announcement to the alias.

I am doing it for some sites and it works quite well.

> > An interesting task would be to use /usr/sbin/sendmail executable in
> > os.system (or pipe, i.e. popen, popen2 or popen3) call to do the
> > processing instead of talking to smtp socket.
>
> This works fine, and is the way our current (proprietary) system operates.
> My personal opinion, however, is that talking to an SMTP socket makes the
> system easier to configure, easier to install (doesn't require ANY mailer
> to be installed on the web server), and all around better. Of course, I
> could be wrong.

I used to think so as well, until today one linux server started acting up:
 when ipchains were in use it refused to send mail a couple of times, putting
 NULLCONNECTION bla bla bla in logfile.

THE WORST PART WAS that the sendmail tag got no feedback and just assumed
everything went ok

After some more tries the connections started to work fine
when ipchains were disabled, everything worked at the first try.

What makes me think that command-line sendmail works better is the fact
that i could send an email using it regardless of ipchains status.

It is most likely a problem external to Zope, bu having a <sendmail> tag
that internally uses /usr/sbin/sendmail would be an option for cases like
this.

Hannu