[Zope-dev] Performance

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:09:12 -0700

> Chad Dyer wrote:
>
> We are considering using ZOPE to manage our consumer web sites. In
> aggregate they currently do
> 500,000 page views a day. We need them to scale to 2 million page
> views.

On what hardware? OS?
A mix of static and dynamic, or pure Zope?
What level of graphical content?

These are questions you need to have before anyone can give you an
answer.

That said, 2M views per day is only 2.31 per second. if each page
constitutes  3-4 graphics, that is about 4-5 (call it 5) 'hits' per
second, so you wind up with about 10 'hits' per second. Running ab on a
Zope/Roxen server on a dual Celeron-450 w/256MB RAM, SCSI-RAID machine I
can pull 1-2 times that when connecting to an SQL database, and
significantly more for other types of pages.

Here are the results of one run, to a 'nearly static' Zope page:
==========================
Server Software:        Roxen
Server Hostname:        www.libc.org
Server Port:            80
Document Path:          /index_html
Document Length:        2899 bytes
Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   38.665 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      3030027 bytes
HTML transferred:       2901899 bytes
Requests per second:    25.86
Transfer rate:          78.37 kb/s received
Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     0     2
Processing:   212   384   627
Total:        212   384   629
=====================
(Note that this page has 2 graphics.)

A run against the PTK 'recent news' method (the page itsself hase 5
graphics, 2 of which are retreived from calls to the adbanner product
shows, 4 news items (ZODB stored), shows a rate of ~7 Requests per
second.

Now, AIUI, ab (apachebench) is counting each retreival of the specified
url as a 'Request'. If so, you can take the first results and compare
them to the 2.31 views/second from the 2M views/day. At that rate, the
PTK request would be serving up roughly 6M views/day.

Mind you, this machine has many other things running on it at the time
(like several other Zope instances for example, as well as ab), so YMMV.

Maybe next week I'll post ab results against an HP N-Class ....

(btw, please don't send html to the list)

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.