[Zope-dev] ExtensionClass question

James Henstridge james@daa.com.au
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:02:47 +0800 (WST)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> James,
>
> I read your message but at the time it wasn't quite clear to me what was
> needed.  I'm no ExtensionClass expert, but I might be able to help.
>
> Since your developing a large C extension module and I'm not, I'm going
> on the assumption that you know more about this than I do, but I was
> under the impression that classes cannot be defined in C, only types.
> Therefore, I'm not sure exactly how one would 'subclass' in C, or how
> one generalizes one C type with another.  It is possible of course to
> create a type that is an extension class, as detailed in the extension
> class docs and examples.  Perhaps you could explain what you need
> better?

That is the whole point of ExtensionClass -- to create python types in C
that look like classes so they can be subclassed.  This is a very
useful feature, and I wanted to see if I could use ExtensionClass to add
this functionality to one of my projects.

> Your second question about inheriting methods is beyond me.  Or perhaps
> I don't get the question.
>
> -Michel

Thanks for your time.  I guess I should ask Jim Fulton about this problem
directly.

James.