[Zope-dev] Zopifying an FTP'd/POST'ed HTML document?

Graham Fawcett gmfawcett@operamail.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:16:32 -0500

Has anywone worked on a mechanism for taking HTML documents that are FTP'd or
HTTP-POST'ed by end-users and manipulating them into Zopish documents --
inserting <dtml-var standard_html_header> and <..._footer> tags, for instance?

It seems to me (though I haven't tried yet) that there's more at work than
just prefixing/suffixing the content with the <dtml> codes when rendering it.
Though such a result might be renderable, it would certainly not be
HTML-conformant (prob. two sets of <HTML> and <HEAD> codes) and might give
unusual results (the possiblity of conflicting <HEAD> elements in the document
and in the standard_html_header; ...).

On a related note, it might be interesting to run a second, modified FTP
handler on a Zope Server, which "Zopifies" HTML documents upon upload, perhaps
even storing them as some subclass of DTML Document which renders itself as
DTML but which returns the originally-uploaded document if accessed via FTP.

Again, I'm just asking if anyone's done any work along such lines. It seems a
fairly useful feature to offer if (a) your end-user base is used to more
traditional HTML publishing and (b) you want to gain the benefits of
Acquisition while making it transparent to your end-users.

Thanks for your thoughts,
-- G

-- Graham Fawcett <fawcett@uwindsor.ca>
-- Application Developer (Instructional Development)
-- Division of Instructional Development
-- University of Windsor, Canada