[Zope-dev] ODMG compliance?

Kenneth Y.K. YOUNG kyoung@kyoung.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:12:15 +0800

My understanding of ODMG standard is superficial, but the motivation of
examining Zope's standard compliance are as follows: (pls correct me if I'm
wrong)

(1) how well it integrates with Corba - i.e. can I access Zope functions
from programs written in perl/C/smalltalk/Java via corba, and have zope
reuse Corba components written in these languages.

(2) how well it complies with the OQL standard - i.e. is it query-lanugage
compatiable with e.g. CA's Jasmine ii

(3) Zope's architecture is so user-friendly and extensible that i am very
pleased with it on small projects, and would be very eager to use it for a
large scale implementation if I can find out how it stands re (1)/(2).

I feel that Zope is open-sourced has not proved its platform/language
transparent integration capabilities (not to ignore the good work done in Z
SQL/ODBC/JDBC drivers) on a more sophisticated level.  This should be very
value-added.

From the replies received, I gather Zope is not very advanced in these
directions, psychologically if not actually.  I beg any core developer might
explain that it will take 3 months'/years' work to make these happen, for
example?

Regards,
ken young