[Zope-dev] ODMG compliance?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:25:02 -0500

Corba integration does not exist, but it would not be dificult to do.
As a corba client, you could take some third party python corba package
and integrate it into a Zope product to create "CORBA Methods" that
would word presumably like External Methods.

As a CORBA server you could create a new ZServer module.  Remember,
ZPublisher, the 'heart' of Zope, is an Object Request Broker (ORB) that
maps quite cleanly onto CORBA.  In the past when ZPublisher was Bobo, I
beleive there was even some work done to make Bobo corba aware, I'm not
certain.

In any case there has been no demand on us for it for a while now, corba
is not a very active standard.  XML-RPC seems to fill it's shoes quite
well.

> (2) how well it complies with the OQL standard - i.e. is it
> query-lanugage
> compatiable with e.g. CA's Jasmine ii

It is not OQL compliant at all, however I see no reason why it would not
be easy to make it so.

> (3) Zope's architecture is so user-friendly and extensible
> that i am very
> pleased with it on small projects, and would be very eager to
> use it for a
> large scale implementation if I can find out how it stands re (1)/(2).

It is suitable for large scale implimentations regardless of 1 or 2, it
just doesn't support 1 or 2.

> From the replies received, I gather Zope is not very advanced in these
> directions, psychologically if not actually.  I beg any core
> developer might
> explain that it will take 3 months'/years' work to make these
> happen, for
> example?

I couldn't tell you, but you could take a hack at it.  I belive there
are a couple Python corba packages.

-Michel