[Zope-dev] ASP vs Zope vs PHP vs ..?

Andy Pahne ap@net22.net
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:51:55 +0100

To say it first: I have no experiencce with ASP, but I'm developing a few
websites with Zope and a few with PHP at the moment.

Zope is very appealing, you are right. But I do not understand your mention
above:

>But, I'm uncomfortable with loosing touch with an actual HTML/ASP document
>in an actual file system. I feel weird about the URL that Zope presents -
>there's no simple file name reference, like, http://www.abc.com/mypage.asp
>or http://www.abc.com/mypage2.html.  Sorry, but my web experience expects
>that.

In fact, Zope maps objects to URLs, and you access your Zopish objects via
URL. So the reference to the object myObj in the root-folder of your
Zope-installation gets   http://your-server.com/myObj
If you like it, you may call your object myObj.asp  or   myObj.php   or even
myObj.html. .That's a simple name reference, isn't it?

OK, in fact there's more to tell about it, but the strength of aqcusition is
one of the more easier concept, and I won't go into detail about that now.

We had this thread Zope vs PHP and Zope vs Midgard-Project and Zope vs ASP
already, and I decided to use the best out of all worlds. At the moment I'm
trying to learn, which technique is the best for a given problem.

Andy