[Zope-dev] simple revision control(?) for Data.fs.

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:56:59 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Evan Gibson wrote:

> How well does it handle the differences between packed and unpacked data.fs
> files?

rsync was designed to update two files efficiently over a slow connection.
It will split a file into pieces, calculate running checksums and update
only the parts that differ. I expect that if the files are very different
(as it would be the case after a pack operation) rsync would not be very
efficient. And now I am thinking about it, it probably won't do what
Anthony wants. I don't remember if it has an option to store/get just the
differences. It would be useful to use as a Data.fs backup
mechanism over a network.

Pavlos