[Zope-dev] COMMENTS REQUESTED: Zope Product Guidelines

Martijn Faassen m.faassen@vet.uu.nl
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:28:09 +0100

Hi there,

Monday I posted the Zope product guidelines to the net. It's here:

http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/product_guidelines

Structured text source is here:

http://www.zope.org/Members/faassen/product_guidelines_stx

Don't cheer yet; this document is *not* complete. In fact, it's a mere
skeleton, containing (loosely categorized) my questions.

I'd like to see some discussion on the various issues raised in the
document on this list. I'd also like to see contributions to the doc.
Either more questions, or an attempt at actual answers.

Since the answers will set guidelines and standards, it's unlikely an
answer will be accepted without at least some discussion by the
community. So let's please discuss.

For starters, let's try to identify some common tabs in Zope, and their
use. For instance:

edit tab - use this to edit instance specific data that is not a
property. (this is incorrect. The title and other properties can often
be edited on the edit tab). How to improve this phrasing?

properties tab - you can only use this to display the standard Zope
properties screen, here's how:

from OFS.PropertyManager import PropertyManager

# now include PropertyManager as a base class

# now include in manage_options

{'label':'Properties', 'action':'manage_propertiesForm'},

proxy tab

security tab

test tab

view tab