[Zope-dev] fastcgi mangles images

John Edstrom edstrom@Poopsie.hmsc.orst.edu
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:15:48 -0800 (PST)

	I'm trying to set up a Zope site to be accessible through an
Apache server via fastcgi.  The suggested procedures in the how-tos
seems to work.

Except! the pages displayed on the browser are badly distorted.  The
effect is variable, but I get things like missing background tiles,
blocks of black color, i.e. general weirdness.

The page looks fine when displayed through ZServer directly.

I've checked the HTML & text and what gets through is fine.

I use a jpeg as a background tile and some images here and there.  If
I take out all images from the document then the page looks fine
through fastcgi.  If I include just the background tile image from the
fastcgi/ZServer, the whole page is displayed weirdly.  If I take the
exact same image from the apache server the page looks good through
fastcgi.  I'm thinking that the images are getting munged somehow and
confusing the browser.

I'm using a DEC UNIX machine (I don't have a problem on intel Linux).
I wonder if there is a problem somewhere with how FCGIServer.py
handles images (and possibly other blocks of binary data).

Looking in FCGIServer.py I see things like:

            self.contentLength = (vals[4] << 8) + vals[5]

I don't know python internals at all.  Might this sort of quick
calculation by shifts generate erroneous transfers on 64-bit machines?

--
 John Edstrom