[Zope-dev] Thoughts on wysiwyg 'object based' editing (once again)

Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM Jerry.Spicklemire@IFLYATA.COM
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:53:37 -0500

Rik has some interesting observations regarding the depth of a present
generation browser's "awareness" of the components that make up a Zope
rendered html "page", which is to say nearly none. But isn't this exactly
what XML solves for us? An XML document, even after browser rendering (not
to be confused with the Zope server side composition stage), is still made
up of discrete XML objects, and thus selectable, editable, etc.

The beauty of this concept isn't so much that Zope / Python simply can't do
all this by itself, we all know that Zope / Python (Grail?) can do anything
short of levitation*. Rather the point is simply that XML is a well
accepted, existing standard, and is bound to be supported in popular
browsers.

FWIW,
Jerry S.

* I missed the conference, so this is subject to updating ;-)