[Zope-dev] Question: circumventing the full fishbowl for smal l changes...?

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:19:20 -0400

> 	I've reviewed the introduction to the fishbowl process
> and its description of creating a project proposal wiki
> document and such, and the full process a project should
> take.  However, I have 2 very small but useful additions
> to Zope I wish to make.  Both additions are already available
> for download on zope.org - and have been tested extensively.
>
> However, the larger of the two changes is perhaps 80 lines of
> code.  It seems cumbersome, to me at least, to go through
> this whole process of "Inception, Elaboration, Construction,
> and Transition" for small code snippets which are already
> created and tested... So, my question is, could a side-line
> process be created for the integration of already existent,
> tested, and somewhat small, code changes?
>
> <snip>
>
> Please keep in mind that I am not trying to be critical,
> nor am I attempting to change the fishbowl process for normal
> projects - I only wish a parallel process to exist for very
> small changes, so that the changes are not forgotten or passed
> up.

Hi Jon -

You are correct that we need something featherweight for
very specific features/changes. I know that it's not
optimal, but for right now the process for things like
this is to add a feature request (preferably w/patch)
to the collector.

My hope is that some of the other things going on will
allow us to be better about getting to those things. I
expect to still try to get the community involved in
those small decisions (voting, etc. on the dev list).

Hopefully that will be good enough to hold us for a
little while - I'm open to feedback on how we might
improve this (though for the immediate near term I
prefer to focus the bulk of effort on working out
kinks in the process for larger projects).

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909