[Zope-dev] Zope Add-on Installation

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:39:13 -0400

Bill Anderson wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
> >
> > Bill Anderson wrote:
> > > I believe he is talkin gabout the __init__  function checking to see if
> > > the .zexp has been imported, and if not, importing it for you. It's an
> > > idea I have kicked around, but haven't tried yet.
> >
> > IIRC, the 'Distribution' tab creates all this for you...
> >
> > It creates a binary file (maybe a zexp?) and an __init__.py file that
> > imports it for you and wraps them all up in a TarBall with the correct
> > paths :-)
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Chris
>
> Hmmm .. I don't seem to see any zexps in any of the distribution tabbed
> products I have. Admittedly, that isn't a high number :|

The Distribution tab creates a gzip'ed archive with an __init__.py, a
version.txt, and a product.dat.  The file product.dat is pretty much a
zexp but it has a couple of extra goodies in it for "configurability".

I've created a patch that allows you to create redistributable archives
with the distribution tab.  It's checked in to CVS on a branch.  This
is what was needed for us to start using the distribution tab more
frequently.

Shane