[Zope-dev] ZCatalog and ZEO

Johan Carlsson johanc@torped.se
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:48:00 +0200

I have started to use ZCatalog for a great deal of thing,
but I'm a little bit conserned about scalability.
If I whan to move my applications to a ZEO configuration
how will my ZCatalogs be distributed.
I use ZCatalogs alote and they may become quite large,
so what will happen when a ZCatalog is updated, for instance
if a new object registers it self and gets indexed.

1. The ZEO server sends expiration messages to all ZEO clients.
2. The ZEO clients then new to get updated ZCatalog from the server.

Does the clients have to get the all of the ZCatalog or just the indexes
thats been updated?
Does it have to get the whole index or can it just get the updated information?
Are there any "pattern/howto" to use when working with Catalog that will optimize
for scalability?

Regards,
Johan Carlsson