[Zope-dev] Full-text Indexing FOLLOW-UP

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:32:13 -0400

> >RDBMS systems are not particularly good at full-text
> searching to begin
> >with (I'm not quite sure how SQL Server handles this,
>
> AFAIK SQL Server uses MS Index Server for this.

So you could potentially wrap calls to SQL Server via MS Index Server
using Zope in the same way Site Server does it, if you were so inclined.
I'm not.  :-)

> I remember I once saw a mention of ZCatalog being able to
> index the records
> of a dbms, when they were traversable through the web because
> it made no
> difference between object and record properties (both being accessible
> through a URL). Was this false information, or was I just dreaming?

I don't know, to be honest.  I *think* this would be true of a SQL
method that required no parameters.  Unfortunately most SQL queries
require parameters that provide the query context (even the ones
reachable via "direct traversal" where the input parameter is provided
by the next part in the traversal path).  This is not particularly
useful, even if true.