[Zope-dev] Re: Version Control

Damian Morton morton@dennisinter.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:17:37 -0500

Version control (as opposed to versions) in Zope would be a wonderfull
thing. Reading through the ZODB UML docs, my guess would be that it _is_
possible, given that object revisions are appended to the database as
opposed to completely replacing old objects. Given this appending
mechanismn, it should be possible to access the old objects somehow. No
doubt the Undo operation is using this facility. What is needed is the
ability to examine all the versions of an object, to differentiate between
objects under version control from those not under version control (so that
packing the database doesnt throw out old versions of version controlled
objects), and optionally some kind of compression scheme (so that keeping
old object versions isnt too resource draining). Mind you, all this _may_
require some hacking of the ZODB source, although Im guessing that it
wouldnt involve enormous changes.