[Zope-dev] Client-side Zope

Sin Hang Kin kentsin@macau.ctm.net
Sat, 4 Mar 2000 08:13:31 +0800

Continue to moving more job to the client, There will be more for Zope to
perform:

1. There will be necessary to generate various section-specific temporary
objects for CSS, DTD and Scripting files, framed or embeded html.

2. There will be necessary to support java or javascript access of zope in
the client.

In the first requirement, I would like to suggest an machenism to create an
section specific temporary object (which zope create the unique name and
substitute it) which dtml is able to write to it. The new object can be just
a new dtml-document. As in the following

<dtml-object dtdobject>
<dtml-object scriptobject>
<dtml-object cssobject>
<script lang="javascript" src="<dtml-var scriptobject>">

<dtml-write target=scriptobject>
function <dtml-var uniquevalidfunctionname>(){
}
</dtml-write>

I don't known about the solution of the second request.

In the long run, zope might encourage separate of control and data. The
current opening all tags in one dtml-method and closing them in another is
very dangerous if the control get complicated. I would like to suggest DC
consider a xslt like syntax which can also be used in server side xml to
html conversion if the client do not support it.

If zope is going seriously to the international market and xml, then unicode
is important in the core level.