[Zope-dev] Excuses

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 20:13:22 +0100

Patrick Phalen wrote:
> [Martijn Faassen, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]
>
> :: We possible need a seperate list 'Zope hackers' or something, as currently
> :: this list has two purposes that seem to overlap; one is more advanced
> :: Zope development, and the other is the actual development of Zope itself.
>
> This idea seems really logical to me. The name makes clear what the
> subject matter is.

[snip don't unsubscribe from the main zope list]
> Hmmm. This is a good point too. Are Martijn's and Tom's ideas mutually
> exclusive? Is Zope Hackers another excuse for advanced users to
> unsubscribe from the Zope list and therefore not participate in the
> network effect of helping newcomers?

No, I don't think the ideas are mutually exclusive at all.

And from your reply I think the naming of zope-dev and zope-hackers
*will* be confusing, as I intended zope-dev to be the 'advanced development'
list while the zope-hackers list would be the 'development of zope itself'
list. At least posgresql-hackers is the 'development of postgresql' list,
so I tried to mirror that.

> [Martijn Faassen again, on Thu, 09 Mar 2000]
>
> :: P.S. "Zope-XML? I hadn't heard of any Zope-XML mailing list?" -- Martijn is
> :: engaged in an act of self-fulfilling prophecy here. I _want_ there to be
> :: a Zope-XML list.
>
> Why not start an egroup (www.egroups.com) for this (effortless) and
> announce it here. That would test the waters to see if there's enough
> interest. If so, it can later be migrated to a "real" Zope list.

That's a good idea, though it may seem less 'real'; the idea is that people
think the digicool folks hang out there too. In fact, some of the digicool
folks *should* hang out there too. Anyway, I'll proceed with that if
nothing else happens soon.

Regards,

Martijn