[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] zope_msg.log Message

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:01:57 -0800

Brian Lloyd wrote:

> Hi guys -
>
> Have you sent anything about this to support@digicool.com? If
> not, please do send a report that describes your environment
> and how to reproduce the problem. Stability problems are a
> high priority for us, and if we have an easily reproducable
> one here, I'd really like Michel to look into it if he hasn't
> already...

Aye carumba, I haven't even been following this thread, not the most
useful subject line!

Ok, it looks like there are two issues:

1) some sort of FCGI issue which I do not have the capacity to reproduce

2) the same stability issue I am currently looking into.

The problem with 2) is that no one can reproduce it reliably (this may
not be true after I look at something someone sent me today, I'll keep
everyone updated) including myself.  I have pounded a half dozen
sandboxes with ab for hours and gotten nowhere.  No crashes.  Not a
single burp.

I'm, of course still looking into this, but I need more data from the
folks out there.

First of all, if you suspect that your Zope is dying and restarting
alot, run it in debug mode like this (unix only, sorry):

bash$ strace -f -e trace=none -signal=all python z2.py -D

See 'man strace' for the gory details.

obviously tune the parameters to z2.py to suite your needs.

What we are looking for here are SIGSEGV.  You'll probably see a lot of
SIGUSR1s, these are normal.

If you can get a SIGSEGV to happen reliably, _please_ let me know.

-Michel