[Zope-dev] I am lost. Please help.

Stefan Kuzminski stefan@umevoice.com
Mon, 1 May 2000 10:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

>>>>> ">" == Stephan Richter <srichter@cbu.edu> writes:

I feel your pain.  I wound up with a bastard zope style, some notes from my
trip..

1.  I used external methods as 'entry point' into my own object system.  The
    key for me is that I didn't need Zope's tree and didn't want to restart
    Zope everytime I made a change.

2. I used a seperate ZODB instance, in the architecture I'm building only the
    data is persistent, not the code, a module added to <zope>/lib/python
    which opens a ZODB and is imported by the ExternalMethod is a ok way to
    have a cached open db connection.

As for security, your external methods are full participants in the Zope
scheme.  I know this type of thing is a bit flakey, the risk is that you wind
up writing yourself features which Zope has built in.  But it's really nice to
be able to build something without having to support a big existing API or
restarting Zope all the time.

I have thought from time to time that there could be a 'mirco-Zope' release,
just a ZServer ( and PCGI ) and ZODB.  This would be well suited for people
who want to do everything in python.

Stefan