[Zope-dev] Adding your own (complex) data types to property pages: example a nd problems... nd problems...

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 4 May 2000 21:30:12 +0200

Mike Fletcher wrote:
[snip]
> As of yet, I don't see a clean way of fixing this problem other than
> re-writing properties.dtml to call out to an extensible mechanism for
> generating edit fields.  To make this ideal, you would allow, for instance,
> dropping in a more advanced date editor (such as a calendar) to replace the
> default text-field version, or allowing for "object" fields where you can
> paste or create generic objects etc.  If I do this work (at least the basic
> mechanisms, if not the ideal ones), would Digital Creations be willing to
> incorporate the changes? I am currently developing on 2.1.4, but can upgrade
> if there have been any changes in this area. If not, are there any
> suggestions on other means to accomplish the same ends (complex property
> data types)?

Have you looked at ZFormulator? You may want to take a look at it,
at least for inspiration. I don't have the time now, but ripping
out the old properties system and putting in a new one based on ZFormulator
was one of my secret plans. :) I hope to get more time developing
ZFormulator in june.

Regards,

Martijn