[Zope-dev] Advocating the splitting of Zope in subpackages

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 11:15:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Lalo Martins wrote:

> These things should IMHO be distributed as independent Python
> packages, at least:
>
> - ZODB
> - Catalog
> - ZPublisher
> - StructuredText

It used be that they were independent. Even DTML was. I have kept the old
code!

> They were all designed to be Zope-independent (ok, the only
> good reason to use ZPublisher outside Zope is for clients, but
> anyway, it's designed to make other things possible).

Noooo ZPublisher+ZServer is great to quickly publish python modules. I use
it all the time. This is how simple it is:

bobo_application=<YourClass>()

And then run ZServer pointing it to your module!!

All the methods in your module (as long as they have strings) are
immediately available through the web in a manner similar to Zope. The
whole Zope is actually such an app.

For many apps Zope is a big overkill, especially when you don't want to
store instances in a ODB or provide through the Web editing/security etc.

Most of the independancy was broken when the special regular expression
module was intoduced to deal with threads. At least this is what I have
observed trying to split a few things from Zope.

pavlos