[Zope-dev] Folders and the /

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Sun, 14 May 2000 21:34:24 +0200

Hi!

Recently I was trying to mirror a Zope page to a local machine using
pavuk or wget. The problem I encountered was that not everything was
copied.

I've tried to track down the problem and the basic issue is that folders
when being referenced as e.g. http://machine.com/folderA/folderB
will be downloaded as files. Thus when accessing a file inside the folderB
it will result in an error as there is not folder folderB in the
actual tree.

To solve this problem Zope needs to make a redirect to
http://machine.com/folderA/folderB/ (with a / prepended) so that the mirror
tool knows that it's an folder. This is as I think the way Apache does
it. The mirror tool will then also create a local directory and download
the data as index.html (wget) or _._.html (pavuk).

I haven't looked at the code yet but cannot imagine that it's too hard
to implement.

(What method is invoked on the folder when being accessed? index_html() ?
 Must this be changed?)

cheers,
  Christian