[Zope-dev] Re: ZCatalog and Unique IDs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 19:25:36 +0100

Michel Pelletier wrote:
> At the moment this is true, but Jim and I have discussed the possibility
> of ZCatalog being treating the paths less atomically and more as a
> sequence of nodes from root to the target, this way, you could ask the
> catalog for all objects below a certain point that match search
> criteria, etc.

Okay, now it starts to make sense...

And I agree that the traversal stuff needs to handle this properly...

My take on it is this:

The URL is not the same as the path to the object.

The path to the object should be unique, and always rooted at Zope's
root, I don't think the Traversal Interface is strong enough on this
point yet...

Mapped to this path could be any number of ways of accessing/exposing
objects which don't necessarily start at Zope's root.

Take HTTP access through apache virtual hosting for example.

Or exposing a sub-tree as files through FTP or WebDAV.

Is this true or am I missing something?

cheers,

Chris