[Zope-dev] New Help System in 2.2

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 15:58:56 -0400

Jason Spisak wrote:
> I was just browsing the help system and can I just say it is terrfic.  The
> .py files especially.  Not that python isn't that easy to read, but having
> the ZQR type stuff handy online is a huge win.  Is that stuff updated from
> the source on the fly?

Almost.  It's actually written in separate files that mirror the
structure of the real source.  And I'd like to bring up the point that
I wonder why it is written that way.  Wouldn't it make more sense to
self-document the source?

If the issue is that some methods shouldn't be callable from a URL,
there are better solutions to that problem (this is written to DC
mainly):
1) Enahnce the permissions system to include "Accessible via HTTP",
"Accessible via FTP", etc.
2) Use an underscore as the first character of a docstring to indicate
a non-URL-callable method.

Shane