[Zope-dev] ZClasses not copyable - why?

Philipp Auersperg zope@philosoft.at
Sun, 05 Nov 2000 16:22:02 +0100

It is not posible to copy ZClasses, when I try to copy a ZClass
in the Management Interface I get the error:    'The Item 'blorf' does not support that operation'

I digged into that and found that in the ZClass.py there exists a method

def cb_isCopyable:
    pass

I was so crude to replace the pass with a 'return 1', restarted Zope and
could now copy ZClasses as I wanted it.

-----------------------------
My first question now:
0.    Why are ZClasses not copyable?
1.    Do I shoot into my foot with my hack or is that OK?

And now my second question
I am working on a ZClass-intensive project and sometimes I
want to add/remove base classes of a ZClass without redefining the whole class manually.

in ZClass I have found a nice-sounding method _setBasesHoldOnToYourButts() <grin>,
and the source is commented with '#Eeeek', hmmmm

What are the risks for a good shot into my foot using this function?

thanks

phil